Size: 70 x 50 cms
Publisher: Editions Lidiarte
Warning: Last items in stock!
Mies van der Rohe began his professional career working in the family marble company. When he moved to Berlin he worked for the interior decoration firm of Architect Bruno Paul, although his architectural career really began when he became an apprentice in the studio of Peter Behrens (1908-1912), a pioneer of avant-garde architecture in his time. He was recognised for his talent right away and soon had his own commissions.
After the First World War he became an active member of the Berlin avant-garde. His research and non-commissioned projects (such as the skyscraper project for the Friedrichstraße) showed his interest in creating groundbreaking and technologically innovative architecture, which materialized in the Barcelona Pavilion (1929) and in the Tugendhat house (1930, Brno, current Czech Republic).
In 1925 he met Lilly Reich, director of the Deutscher Werkbund, who became his romantic and professional partner until 1938, the year Mies van der Rohe migrated to Chicago.
In the United States Mies van der Rohe's work was acclaimed for its structural precision and aesthetics, based on clarity, mastery and elegance with the use of industrial materials. His reputation led to him becoming a public figure, making the "less is more" maxim that has always remained associated to his figure. His most renowned works of this period are the Farnsworth House (1946-1958, Plano, Illinois), the Crown Hall (1954-1956, Illinois Institute of Technology, Chicago, Illinois) and the Seagram skyscrapers (1954-1958, New York).